Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ribeye with Balsamic Steak Sauce

I am always on the lookout for a good runny sauce to drench my steaks in and this is a keeper! I will say, I do agree with most "red meat enthusiasts" that a good steak needs nothing but a little salt and pepper however what could possibly go wrong with an additional douse of goodness??? NOTHING!

I used a rib eye but the recipe that I finagled this from used a huge 3 lb porterhouse, which is probably why this makes a RIDICULOUS amount of sauce. I froze the unused portion of mine for a future steak that happens to get accidentally solidified into a fossilized charred lil' mound-of-meat (especially if my dad, Rick happens to be grilling) or simply for some yummy added flavor.

Balsamic Steak Sauce
3/4 c balsamic vinegar
2/3 c ketchup
1/4 cup honey
2 sliced shallots
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T Dijon
1/4 t allspice*
salt
pepper
sugar**
2-3 T butter

1 large steak (I used a large ribeye), grilled to your liking




















*if you do not have allspice you can substitute equal parts of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.
**I added a small amount (less than a t.) at the end when tasting the sauce if you feel it should be sweeter.


Simmer all ingredients in medium saucepan until thickened, approx. 15 minutes.

























Strain, then whisk in some cold butter (i used 2 T but thought I could have used more.) The butter will give the sauce a "velvety" texture.














Drizzle over sliced steak. WARNING: This sauce is pretty potent, start with a drizzle and then serve additional sauce on the side.


1 comment:

  1. YUUUUMMMMY!!! Wish I could've tasted that!! Keep the food coming cuz.

    ReplyDelete