Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

For the love of......CORN DOGS!



Shhhhh....don't tell anyone....but....I....love....corn dogs!!

Typically, I would devour a corn dog on only one occasion (Tiger's games) until now.  These little darlings taste just like the local dirty carny dogs.  They are puffy, sweet, savory and most of all FRIED.  The fact they also deliver a lovely dose of yellow mustard doesn't hurt either (one of my favorite condiments.)  I decided to give these a try for one of my mother's friends, Sharon.  She also has a secret crush.  This recipe was originally for full size hot dogs, however I cut them into "sample" size pieces prior to frying.  I believe this resolves the embarrassment of trying to consume the "wiener on a stick" in a public forum.

Make these! P.S. These are wonderful frozen and reheated in the micro and popped under broiler to re crisp...for the kids of course.


Start with a couple of these...and continue with recipe below~ :)

Corn Dogs

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 c sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 egg
1 c milk
water*
Corn starch, to roll dogs in*

Veggie Oil*
2 (16oz) packages hot dogs*
wooden skewers*

* I used canola oil.  I used one package all beef hot dogs and one package white meat turkey dogs.  I used tooth picks.  I need a little bit of water, ~ 3 T, to loosen the batter just prior to frying.  Corn starch is to roll the dogs in prior to dipping in batter to help it to stick.


Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder.  Mix to incorporate.


Stir in egg and milk to form a batter.



Place batter in freezer for at least 15 minutes prior to frying.  It sticks much better if very cold but because of the temperature the batter thickens up.  This is where you will need just a couple splashes of water added until you feel like it will coat the hot dogs nicely.  Remember though, this is a THICK batter so don't thin it out to much because it will them just drain into your oil and not create a coating on the dogs. 


Preheat oil in large deep saucepan (the deeper, the less splatter for those like me whom hate cleaning the stove!) over medium heat. If using a thermometer, approx. 365 degrees is good.


Dry hot dogs with paper towels. Insert wooden skewers/toothpicks.  

(These are "devilish-ly" good!)


Roll dogs in corn starch, dip into batter.  Be sure to get the whole dog, including the area where the skewer is inserted, coated in batter.  The dog will tend to burn in places the batter is missing. Drop into oil and be amazed as the transformation occurs. (I was not able to get a picture of the dogs coated in batter prior to hitting the oil...I did not have an assistant and my hands were covered in batter- my apologies)




 Corn dogs to enjoy in the comfort of your own home...carny-free and delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment